This list of wedding DJ questions tells you when you’ve found the “one.” Hiring a wedding DJ in Chicago is a bit like dating, with both parties asking key questions that make sure it’s a good fit. Plus, if your wedding DJ asks you these questions, you know they’re a high-quality DJ who actually customizes their playlist to you.
Questions Your DJ Should Ask
This list of wedding DJ questions is not all-inclusive! An experienced wedding DJ wants to know about you—everything!—so they can craft a playlist that fits your tastes and coordinates seamlessly with other wedding details. Be cautious if a wedding DJ doesn’t ask these questions; many sub-par DJs use the take a “one size fits all” approach to their weddings. (In addition to not asking these questions, always be alert for these other signs of a low-quality wedding DJ.)
- What type of music do you like? Do you have any songs that are special to you as a couple? (Good wedding DJs love to know little details about you as a couple.)
- What songs do you want played? Do you have any favorite songs do you want played during your dances (i.e. entrance, first dance, mother/son dance, father/daughter dance, etc.)?
- What songs don’t you want played? (Get the perfect ‘do not play’ list with these wedding songs tips.)
- What kind of cocktail music would you like played?
- Where is the wedding? (This is more than a logistical detail. An experienced DJ has probably been there before, and has a relationship with the staff! This will be helpful for coordinating set-up and other details.)
- Do you have a theme or style you are incorporating into your wedding?
- Who is your videographer and photographer? (A good wedding DJ coordinates special moments with your videographer and photographer so you get the best shots.)
- Do you have any special announcements I need to make? (Like a surprise!)
What to Ask Potential Wedding DJs
It’s just as important for you to get to know your wedding DJ, as for them to get to know you! Use these wedding DJ questions to weed out sub-par DJs and find the DJ that offers the best services, plus has other “musts” like a back-up DJ and equipment for emergencies.
- Are you available on my wedding date?
- Have you DJ’ed weddings before? Do you have proof of insurance?
- Can you provide testimonials from couples you have DJ’ed for?
- Do you have back-up equipment in case of a breakdown? Do you have another wedding DJ that can fill in in case of emergency?
- What is the cost of your services? What does it include? Is dinner music part of the total cost? Do you charge overtime fees?
- What is the amount of the deposit? When does it need to be paid? What is the payment arrangement?
- Do you offer any other services (lighting, photo booth, etc.)?
- How should we contact you? How will you contact us? When will we hear from you?
- What information do you need from us? How should we get it to you? When is the deadline for information?
- When do we need to sign a contract and return it to you?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Have you DJ’ed at my venue before? Is there a travel fee charged?
- When do you typically arrive at the venue? Do you dress in formal attire?
- What songs do you typically include in your wedding DJ playlist?
While asking about the cost is an important item on your list of wedding DJ questions, remember that it shouldn’t be the only question. The cheapest DJ isn’t always the right wedding DJ; in some cases, the cheapest DJ is the cheapest because they offer the same playlist with no customization. Unfortunately, these DJs often come with dated equipment and no back-ups in case of emergency.
Don’t be afraid to ask for a meeting with your wedding DJ, either in-person or virtual. A meeting is your chance to see your DJ’s equipment and find out if they are the “one” that can make your wedding reception unforgettable.